Breaking Up Is The Easy Part

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Photo by Freddy Castro on Unsplash

I caught his forearm while he was making his getaway. He looked back at where I was seated crossed-legged in the nook of my favorite cafe.

"Don't be a stranger." I choked out.


He managed to force a smile before turning to leave. He could never lie to me, it was one of the things I found endearing about him. It was only semi comforting to know that he still wouldn't.


But I wanted to tell him I loved him. But he already knew that. But it was already too late.

He walked out of the cafe, and out of my life, as dramatic as that sounds. A witness to this scene might think that I could've fought harder for our relationship, but only God knows how much I have already sacrificed. He couldn't give me the life I wanted, and even though I was adamant that I didn't want that life without him in it, I knew that my claims weren't true. Why had I bothered lying? He had known even before I did.


What an appropriate season for it to all end, I thought as I stared out of the windows into the streets in the autumn. The sky was overcast, the leaves were letting go of the trees they had called home for months and months. The closed local jewellers from across the street mocked me, they had gone out of business the month before. The diamonds that once adorned the display all gone. Oh silly girl, didn't you sense the foreboding?

Even though there was no point in me imagining how things would be if it had turned out differently, I did it anyway. Sigh, here comes the hard part.

You Might Also Like

0 comments


© 2017 Nicole Dionne. All rights reserved.